Williams County, North Dakota Genealogy
Williams County, North Dakota ancestry and genealogy research page. Identify links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to aid you locate your own Williams Co., ancestors. Begin by creating a Free Family Tree.
Williams County was established on January 08, 1873 (organized in 1903)) from Dakota Territory. The county was named in honor of Dakota territorial legislator Erastus Appelman Williams.
The Williams County Seat is situated in Williston and the county government website is http://www.williamsnd.com/
Areas next to Williams County are Divide County (north), Burke County (northeast), Mountrail County (east), McKenzie County (south), Roosevelt County, Montana (southwest), Sheridan County, Montana (
Cities and towns located in Williams County are Alamo, Epping, Grenora, Ray, Springbrook, Tioga, Wildrose, Williston.
Townships include Alamo, Athens, Barr Butte, Big Meadow, Big Stone, Blacktail, Blue Ridge, Bonetraill, Brooklyn, Buford, Bull Butte, Champion, Climax, Cow Creek, Dry Fork, Dublin, East Fork, Egypt, Ellisville, Equality, Farmvale, Golden Valley, Good Luck, Grenora, Hanks, Hardscrabble, Hazel, Hebron, Judson, Lindahl, Lund's Landing, Marshall, McGregor, Missouri Ridge, Mont, New Home, Oliver, Orthell, Pleasant Valley, Rainbow, Rock Island, Round Prairie, Sauk Valley, Scorio, South Meadow, Springbrook, Stony Creek, Strandahl, Tioga, Trenton, Truax, Twelve Mile, Tyrone, View, West Bank, Wheelock, Williston, Winner, Zahl.
Williams County does have Federal Census Schedules to help in looking into your family tree. Government Population Schedules are available for 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. There are free online in addition to printable census forms to assist with your research.
Williams County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Williams County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also North Dakota Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- North Dakota State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Buffalo Trails Museum, P. O. Box 22, Epping, ND 58843; 701-859-4981 or 701-859-4361
- Williams County Historical Society, 519 11th Avenue W, Williston, ND 58801-4727, 701-577-4504
- Fort Buford State Historic Site, 15349 39th Lane NW, Williston, ND 58801, 701-572-9034 or 701-328-2666
- Fort Union Trading Post National Historic Site, 15550 Hwy. 1804, Williston, ND 58801, 701-572-9083
- Frontier Museum , 423 1st Ave. West, Williston, ND 58801 , 701-572-2258
- Pioneer Trails Historical Society, Hanks, 2310 University Ave., Williston, ND 58801, 701-572-4759
- Ray Opera House Museum Society, 420 4th Avenue East, Ray, ND 58849, 701-568-3437
- Tioga Historical Society, Inc. / Norseman Museum, P. O. Box 697, Tioga, ND 58852-0697, 701-664-2702
- Williams County, North Dakota Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Williams County
- Williams County, North Dakota Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Williams County
- USGenWeb Archives for Williams County (usgwarchives.net)
Williams County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often overlook the value of Williams County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in North Dakota courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the aspirations and worries of countless North Dakota residents. The odds are excellent that your chosen ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least some elements of their lives in the Williams County court records. Even if your forefathers is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
I highly recommend you speak to the clerk's office to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other details before visiting or asking for information because of occasionally changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many employees will help men and women in finding the resources, however it's up to the particular person to complete the basic research.
The following specifics denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and court records are usually in Williams County. The years indicated listed below are the first known records in this county. Some records have been transferred to the State Archives and Historical Research Library.
- Williams County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 205 E Broadway, Williston, ND 58801
- Phone: (701) 774-4376
- Williams County Register of Deeds / Recorder keeps a record of each patent, deed, mortgage, bill of sale and any document related to these transactions, insuring a permanent record of property ownership; Copies of divorce records.
- Williams County Clerk of Courts responsibilities include issuing Marriage Licenses and filing of
Civil, Probate, Small Claims, Criminal Cases and Child Support Court Documents.
- Marriage Records: 1892
- Probate Records: 1890
- Court Records: 1890
- North Dakota Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in North Dakota for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. They are prime sources for genealogical information.
North Dakota Historical Records
- Databases include North Dakota Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; North Dakota Birth, Marriage & Death Records; North Dakota Voter Lists & Census Records; North Dakota Immigration & Emigration Records; North Dakota Obituary Records; North Dakota Military Records; North Dakota Family Tree Records; North Dakota Pictures; North Dakota Stories, Memories & Histories; North Dakota Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Williams County Genealogy Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Williams ounty. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a list that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Williams County genealogy or family history related sites.
Williams Co. ND Books, Newspapers & Publications
Williams Co. ND Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Williams Co. ND Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Williams Co. ND Census Records
Williams Co. ND Cemeteries & Graveyards
Williams Co. ND Church & Bible Records
Williams Co. ND Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Williams Co. ND General and History Websites
Williams Co. ND Immigration & Naturalization
Williams Co. ND Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Williams Co. ND Military Records
Williams Co. ND Schools & Directories