Richland County, North Dakota Genealogy
Richland County, North Dakota ancestry and genealogy research page. Identify links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to aid you locate your own Richland Co., ancestors. Begin by creating a Free Family Tree.
Richland County was established on January 04, 1873 (organized in 1875) from Pembina County. The county was named in honor of Morgan T. Rich, early settler.
The Richland County Seat is situated in Wahpeton and the county government website is unknown
Areas next to Richland County are Cass County (north), Wilkin County, Minnesota (east), Traverse County, Minnesota, Roberts County, South Dakota (south), Sargent County (west), Ransom County (west).
Cities and towns located in Richland County are Abercrombie, Barney, Christine, Colfax, Dwight, Fairmount, Great Bend, Hankinson, Lidgerwood, Mantador, Mooreton, Wahpeton, Walcott, Wyndmere.
Townships include Abercrombie, Antelope, Barney, Barrie, Belford, Brandenburg, Brightwood, Center, Colfax, Danton, Devillo, Dexter, Duerr, Dwight, Eagle, Elma, Fairmount, Freeman, Garborg, Grant, Greendale, Helendale, Homestead, Ibsen, LaMars, Liberty Grove, Mooreton, Moran, Nansen, Sheyenne, Summit, Viking, Walcott, Waldo, West End, Wyndmere.
Richland County does have Federal Census Schedules to help in looking into your family tree. Government Population Schedules are available for 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Richland Co. Richland Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1880. Richland Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules is available for 1880. Richland Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. There are free online in addition to printable census forms to assist with your research.
Richland County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Richland County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also North Dakota Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- North Dakota State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Richland County Historical Society, 525 1st St. S, Wahpeton, ND 58075, 701-642-4813
- Bagg Bonanza Farm Historic Preservation Society, P. O. Box 702, Mooreton, ND 58075, 701-274-8989
- Fort Abercrombie State Historic Site, P. O. Box 148, Abercrombie, ND 58001, 701-553-8513 or 701-328-2666
- Lidgerwood Community Museum, Inc., P. O. Box 36, Lidgerwood, ND 58053-0036
- Wahpeton Parks & Recreation, P. O. Box 1325, Wahpeton, ND 58074-1325, 701-642-2811
- Wilkin-Richland Counties Genealogy Guild, 2018 320th Street, Breckenridge, MN 56520, 218-643-2532
- Richland County, North Dakota Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Richland County
- Richland County, North Dakota Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Richland County
- USGenWeb Archives for Richland County (usgwarchives.net)
Richland County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often overlook the value of Richland County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in North Dakota courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the aspirations and worries of countless North Dakota residents. The odds are excellent that your chosen ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least some elements of their lives in the Richland County court records. Even if your forefathers is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
I highly recommend you speak to the clerk's office to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other details before visiting or asking for information because of occasionally changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many employees will help men and women in finding the resources, however it's up to the particular person to complete the basic research.
The following specifics denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and court records are usually in Richland County. The years indicated listed below are the first known records in this county. Some records have been transferred to the State Archives and Historical Research Library.
- Richland County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 418 2nd Ave N, Wahpeton, ND 58075
- Phone: (701) 671-1524
- Richland County Register of Deeds / Recorder keeps a record of each patent, deed, mortgage, bill of sale and any document related to these transactions, insuring a permanent record of property ownership; Copies of divorce records.
- Richland County Clerk of Courts responsibilities include issuing Marriage Licenses and filing of
Civil, Probate, Small Claims, Criminal Cases and Child Support Court Documents.
- Marriage Records: 1877
- Probate Records: 1873
- Court Records: 1873
- North Dakota Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in North Dakota for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. They are prime sources for genealogical information.
North Dakota Historical Records
- Databases include North Dakota Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; North Dakota Birth, Marriage & Death Records; North Dakota Voter Lists & Census Records; North Dakota Immigration & Emigration Records; North Dakota Obituary Records; North Dakota Military Records; North Dakota Family Tree Records; North Dakota Pictures; North Dakota Stories, Memories & Histories; North Dakota Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Richland County Genealogy Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Richland ounty. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a list that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Richland County genealogy or family history related sites.
Richland Co. ND Books, Newspapers & Publications
Richland Co. ND Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Richland Co. ND Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Richland Co. ND Census Records
Richland Co. ND Cemeteries & Graveyards
Richland Co. ND Church & Bible Records
Richland Co. ND Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Richland Co. ND General and History Websites
Richland Co. ND Immigration & Naturalization
Richland Co. ND Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Richland Co. ND Military Records
Richland Co. ND Schools & Directories