Mountrail County, North Dakota Genealogy
Mountrail County, North Dakota ancestry and genealogy research page. Identify links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to aid you locate your own Mountrail Co., ancestors. Begin by creating a Free Family Tree.
Mountrail County was established on January 04, 1871 from Ward County. The county was named in honor of Joseph Mountraille, Metis voyageur and early explorer.
The Mountrail County Seat is situated in Stanley and the county government website is unknown
Areas next to Mountrail County are Burke County (north), Ward County (east), McLean County (south), Dunn County (south), McKenzie County (southwest), Williams County (west).
Cities and towns located in Mountrail County are New Town, Palermo, Parshall, Plaza, Ross, Stanley, White Earth.
Townships include Alger, Austin, Banner, Bicker, Big Bend, Brookbank, Burke, Clearwater, Cottonwood, Crane Creek, Crowfoot, Debing, Egan, Fertile, Howie, Idaho, James Hill, Kickapoo, Knife River, Liberty, Lostwood, Lowland, Manitou, McAlmond, McGahan, Model, Mountrail, Myrtle, Oakland, Osborn, Osloe, Palermo, Parshall, Plaza, Powers, Powers Lake, Purcell, Rat Lake, Redmond, Ross, Shell, Sidonia, Sikes, Sorkness, Spring Coulee, Stave, Van Hook, Wayzetta, White Earth.
Mountrail County does have Federal Census Schedules to help in looking into your family tree. Government Population Schedules are available for 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Mountrail Co. Mountrail Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1880. Mountrail Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules is available for 1880. Mountrail Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. There are free online in addition to printable census forms to assist with your research.
Mountrail County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Mountrail County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also North Dakota Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- North Dakota State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Mountrail County Historical Society, P. O. Box 582, Stanley, ND 58784, 701-628-2772
- New Town Historical Society, P. O. Box 342, New Town, ND 58763-0342, 701-627-3518
- Plaza Community Museum, P. O. Box 65, Plaza, ND 58771, 701-497-3454
- Flickertail Village Museum, Hwy. 2, P. O. Box 718, Stanley, ND 58784, 701-628-2802
- Three Affiliated Tribes Museum, P. O. Box 147 , New Town, ND 58763, 701-627-4477
- Mouse River Loop Genealogy Society, P. O. Box 1391, Minot, ND 58701-1391
- Mountrail County, North Dakota Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Mountrail County
- Mountrail County, North Dakota Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Mountrail County
- USGenWeb Archives for Mountrail County (usgwarchives.net)
Mountrail County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often overlook the value of Mountrail County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in North Dakota courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the aspirations and worries of countless North Dakota residents. The odds are excellent that your chosen ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least some elements of their lives in the Mountrail County court records. Even if your forefathers is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
I highly recommend you speak to the clerk's office to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other details before visiting or asking for information because of occasionally changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many employees will help men and women in finding the resources, however it's up to the particular person to complete the basic research.
The following specifics denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and court records are usually in Mountrail County. The years indicated listed below are the first known records in this county. Some records have been transferred to the State Archives and Historical Research Library.
- Mountrail County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 101 N Main St, Stanley, ND 58784
- Phone: (701)628-2935
- Mountrail County Register of Deeds / Recorder keeps a record of each patent, deed, mortgage, bill of sale and any document related to these transactions, insuring a permanent record of property ownership; Copies of divorce records.
- Mountrail County Clerk of Courts responsibilities include issuing Marriage Licenses and filing of
Civil, Probate, Small Claims, Criminal Cases and Child Support Court Documents.
- Marriage Records: 1909
- Probate Records: 1909
- Court Records: 1909
- Mountrail County Register of Deeds / Recorder / Clerk of Courts responsibilities include issuing Marriage Licenses and filing of
Civil, Probate, Small Claims, Criminal Cases and Child Support Court Documents; keeping a record of each patent, deed, mortgage, bill of sale and any document related to these transactions, insuring a permanent record of property ownership.
- Marriage Records: ?
- Land Records: ?
- Probate Records: ?
- Court Records: ?
- North Dakota Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in North Dakota for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. They are prime sources for genealogical information.
North Dakota Historical Records
- Databases include North Dakota Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; North Dakota Birth, Marriage & Death Records; North Dakota Voter Lists & Census Records; North Dakota Immigration & Emigration Records; North Dakota Obituary Records; North Dakota Military Records; North Dakota Family Tree Records; North Dakota Pictures; North Dakota Stories, Memories & Histories; North Dakota Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Mountrail County Genealogy Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Mountrail ounty. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a list that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Mountrail County genealogy or family history related sites.
Mountrail Co. ND Books, Newspapers & Publications
Mountrail Co. ND Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Mountrail Co. ND Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Mountrail Co. ND Census Records
Mountrail Co. ND Cemeteries & Graveyards
Mountrail Co. ND Church & Bible Records
Mountrail Co. ND Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Mountrail Co. ND General and History Websites
Mountrail Co. ND Immigration & Naturalization
Mountrail Co. ND Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Mountrail Co. ND Military Records
Mountrail Co. ND Schools & Directories