Grand Forks County, North Dakota Genealogy
Grand Forks County, North Dakota ancestry and genealogy research page. Identify links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to aid you locate your own Grand Forks Co., ancestors. Begin by creating a Free Family Tree.
Grand Forks County was established on January 04, 1873 (organized in 1875) from Pembina County. The county was named for Grand Forks, North Dakota, which in turn was named for its location at the intersection of the Red Lake River and the Red River of the North.
The Grand Forks County Seat is situated in Grand Forks and the county government website is http://www.gfcounty.nd.gov/
Areas next to Grand Forks County are Walsh County (north), Polk County, Minnesota (east), Traill County (southwest), Steele County (southwest), Nelson County (west).
Cities and towns located in Grand Forks County are Grand Forks, Larimore, Thompson, Northwood, Emerado, Manvel, Reynolds, Gilby, Niagara, Inkster.
Townships include Agnes, Allendale, Americus, Arvilla, Avon, Bentru, Blooming, Brenna, Chester, Elkmount, Elm Grove, Fairfield, Falconer, Ferry, Gilby, Grace, Grand Forks, Hegton, Inkster, Johnstown, Lakeville, Larimore, Levant, Lind, Logan Center, Loretta, Mekinock, Michigan, Moraine, Niagara, Northwood, Oakville, Pleasant View, Plymouth, Rye, Strabane, Turtle River, Union, Walle, Washington, Wheatfield.
Grand Forks County does have Federal Census Schedules to help in looking into your family tree. Government Population Schedules are available for 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Grand Forks Co. Grand Forks Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1880. Grand Forks Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules is available for 1880. Grand Forks Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. There are free online in addition to printable census forms to assist with your research.
Grand Forks County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Grand Forks County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also North Dakota Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- North Dakota State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Grand Forks County Historical Society 2405 Belmont Rd, Grand Forks, ND 58201, 701-775-2216
- Grand Forks Historic Preservation Commission, P. O. Box 13876, Grand Forks, ND 58208-3876, 701-772-8756
- Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota PO BOX 9000, Grand Forks, ND 58202-9000, 701-777-4625
- Larimore Community Museum & Historical Society, 1865 39th Street NE, Larimore, ND 58251, 701-343-2238
- Manvel Historical Society, 2890 15th St NE, Manvel, ND 58256-9754
- Minnkota Genealogical Society, P. O. Box 12744, Grand Forks, ND 58208-2744
- Niagara Community Historical Society, P. O. Box 26, Niagara, ND 58266, 701-397-5830
- Northwood Pioneer Museum & Historical Association, P. O. Box 111, Northwood, ND 58267
- Reynolds Historical Society, RR 1 Box 1G, Reynolds, ND 58275
- Grand Forks County, North Dakota Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Grand Forks County
- Grand Forks County, North Dakota Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Grand Forks County
- USGenWeb Archives for Grand Forks County (usgwarchives.net)
Grand Forks County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often overlook the value of Grand Forks County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in North Dakota courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the aspirations and worries of countless North Dakota residents. The odds are excellent that your chosen ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least some elements of their lives in the Grand Forks County court records. Even if your forefathers is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
I highly recommend you speak to the clerk's office to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other details before visiting or asking for information because of occasionally changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many employees will help men and women in finding the resources, however it's up to the particular person to complete the basic research.
The following specifics denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and court records are usually in Grand Forks County. The years indicated listed below are the first known records in this county. Some records have been transferred to the State Archives and Historical Research Library.Coroner’s records and inquests for deaths; county judge has index to marriage certificates from 1875.
- Grand Forks County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 124 S 4th St, Grand Forks, ND 58201
- Phone: (701) 787-2715
- Grand Forks County Register of Deeds / Recorder keeps a record of each patent, deed, mortgage, bill of sale and any document related to these transactions, insuring a permanent record of property ownership; Copies of divorce records.
- Grand Forks County Clerk of Courts responsibilities include issuing Marriage Licenses and filing of
Civil, Probate, Small Claims, Criminal Cases and Child Support Court Documents.
- Marriage Records: 1873 (Coroner’s records and inquests for deaths; county judge has index to marriage
certificates from 1875)
- Probate Records: 1873
- Court Records: 1873
- North Dakota Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in North Dakota for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. They are prime sources for genealogical information.
North Dakota Historical Records
- Databases include North Dakota Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; North Dakota Birth, Marriage & Death Records; North Dakota Voter Lists & Census Records; North Dakota Immigration & Emigration Records; North Dakota Obituary Records; North Dakota Military Records; North Dakota Family Tree Records; North Dakota Pictures; North Dakota Stories, Memories & Histories; North Dakota Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Grand Forks County Genealogy Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Grand Forks ounty. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a list that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Grand Forks County genealogy or family history related sites.
Grand Forks Co. ND Books, Newspapers & Publications
Grand Forks Co. ND Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Grand Forks Co. ND Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Grand Forks Co. ND Census Records
Grand Forks Co. ND Cemeteries & Graveyards
Grand Forks Co. ND Church & Bible Records
Grand Forks Co. ND Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Grand Forks Co. ND General and History Websites
Grand Forks Co. ND Immigration & Naturalization
Grand Forks Co. ND Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Grand Forks Co. ND Military Records
Grand Forks Co. ND Schools & Directories